More information: Milazzo-Wikipedia
Milazzo is a town (comune) and is the third-largest city in the province of Messina, and is one of the most important cities of Sicily. The city proper has a population of over 32,000 inhabitants, and is the point of reference of a vaste territory, from Villafranca Tirrena to Patti (over 200 thousand inhabitants). Its origins are ancient. Inhabited since 4000 BC (Neolithic) Milazzo suffered between the ninth and eighth century a progressive Hellenization which ended with the intervention of the Greeks in 716 BC Zancle.
The castle, situated in the center of the walled city, is the most significant monument of Milazzo. Started by the Arabs of the oldest foundations, enlarged by the Normans restored and strengthened by Frederick II of Swabia is surrounded by walls with round towers built under Alfonso of Aragon in which a Gothic portal dating from the fourteenth century. Near the castle are the ruins of the fourteenth-century palace of the grand jury and the old cathedral (1603) probably built on a design by architect Camillo Camillians. Of great artistic value, the Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, and the baroque Church of the SS.Crucifix of 1629, with inside a wooden canopy of the '700 and a precious wooden crucifix from the first '600 'Humble Petralia. Over time, the town is moving forward towards the sea by recording a continuous development of agriculture and fishing activities, commercial and industrial. In the agricultural sector is flourishing viticulture, which allows good production of table grapes and wines. Alongside this, crop production has been developing increasingly vegetables and floriculture, which have fueled a strong export to another.
Milazzo is also part of a large agricultural area extending from Cape Tindari and Villafranca Tirrena and while is the center of the Plan for Agricultural Development. Good industrial development in recent decades, through the construction of medium and small factories in the industrial area ASI of Giammoro (in the territory of Pace del Mela), and with the presence of a large oil refinery, power plant, a thermal power plant , steel plants, a shipyard, plants for the extraction of the essences of flowers, molitaria factory, factory to the construction of industrial plants, and other small industries devoted primarily to the food industry. Thriving is the craft.
The city has a good level of commercial activity, and recently optimized the sector with the presence and expansion of shopping centers and large areas of distribution from national and international brands. The growing industrial and commercial activity of Milazzo and its area, has traced the movement of the port which now holds second place among the Sicilian ports for moving freight and passenger movements for the first place. In the service sector: banks, insurance, advertising, publishing and media at the local level. In these important economic resources has supported the tourism: Milazzo is now a important destination and a great starting point for the Aeolian Islands, the Nebrodi Park, Tindari. There are numerous testimonies, the symbols of the ancient history of the city. Plans are in progress to enter the castle, the fortified town and the ancient village in the sites of UNESCO. The promontory of Capo Milazzo became a marine reserve.